The problem with re-occuring fashion is that the naff side of the era gets forgotten about. The 80s were not all excellently placed shoulder pads and neon lipstick - there was a horribly naff side of it too. Rodarte seem to have chosen the naff side of the 80s as inspiration for their collection.
I know a lot of people are buzzing about this collection in sheer confusion - Is it wearable? Would anyone wear it? I have to say, I love hate it. I haven't enjoyed a Rodarte collection in quite a few seasons. I always hang in there and hope that they will at some point show me something I'm going to be blown away by - but every season its more of the same.
However, I love the naff quality of this. It's horrific in a way where I would never wear it, I would never go to the high street even looking for a studded fringed leather belt (lets face it - that is what the above collection is) and I am still a bit baffled by the whole thing. I just don't know how the hell would wear it.
I did have a wonder if the pieces that went down the runway would benefit from being stripped back a bit on the styling front? If you took away the gold zebra print tux jacket and took off that horrific belt - would it look better for it? I think this might be the saving grace of the collection - that it looks better in pieces in a shoot then it does as a whole on the runway.
This is often something I find with early Henry Holland too.
When I look at some of the pieces I see clear references to the 80s and 90s but I just don't know if anyone has the balls to actually wear it! I guess when the collection hits the round ups of the runway then we will see if there is anyone excited about it.
I just can't. I can't even comment on this ruffled mess.

0 Comments