Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

A Regrettable Conclusion

Yesterday, while we were setting up the Sunday game, we were trying to decide on the cosmology of the setting. During the discussion, I came to the conclusion that I am tired of Lovecraftian Mind Destroying Elder Gods. I'm tired of Unknowable-Squamous-Tentacled-Things-With-Crazy-Ass-Names-From-Beyond-Time-And-Space. They have seeped into geek/gaming culture so much that, for me at least, their potency has been watered down. Lovecraft has become almost a genre unto itself, perpetuating a series of tropes and conventions that have become overexposed.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Lovecraft. Don't take my dice bag away just yet. I'm sure I'll be back into the fold soon enough, for for now give me some deities that are maybe just ambivalent jerks and who won't blast my mind into a thousand pieces for looking at them. Hell, give me a genuinely benevolent deity for a change.

...and that's what diversity means to me.

Post a Comment

0 Comments